Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sukkot (1998)

Sukkot Dry Bones Golden OldieSukkot (1998) Dry Bones cartoon
Today's Golden Oldie is from September 28, 1998. Usually I am frustrated by the various English spellings for this holiday . . . Succot, Sukkot, Sukkoth, etc.

When I was a kid the Ashkenazi accented Sukkas was the accepted pronunciation. But a while ago, "when I was a kid" started to seem like the dark ages. That lead me to doing this cartoon. Of course ten years have now gone by since I considered my growing old in this 'toon from 1998.

By the way, the idea of the modern supermarket, where customers take the stuff off the shelves themselves was apparently developed by American entrepreneur Clarence Saunders and his Piggly Wiggly stores. His first store opened in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1916. For more about the history of supermarkets click here.

Labels: , ,